Jumia Travel Unveils 2017 Uganda Hospitality Report

Amen in HD 24,Asia Star,Andrea Presson
Amen in HD 24-The T.G.I.W Edition
Mar 22, 2017
INTERVIEW: Upclose with Mr.Sobre
Mar 28, 2017

Jumia Travel Unveils 2017 Uganda Hospitality Report


“I would like to applaud Jumia Travel for this report because statistics are very important for us gauging the performance of the tourism sector in this country.”- James Ssebagala, Uganda Tourism Board at the unveiling of the report at the Urban By CityBlue hotel.

The event which had speakers from the industry included Joyce Mcharo the Country Manager of Kenya Airways, Jean Byagumisha of the Uganda Hotel Owners Association, James Ssebagala of Uganda Tourism Board, Miss Uganda 2016/17 Leah Kagasa and Mercy Katera who was representing the Kampala Serena kicked off with a presentation of the report by Louis Badea the Country Manager of Jumia Travel Uganda.

Full report here


The research shows Ugandans still prefer the good old laptop when it comes to hotel searches, accounting for 53% of traffic to the website as compared the 47% mobile sourced traffic. The trajectory is almost duplicated when it comes to placing actual bookings; 80% of visitors book via computers while the remaining 20% click on their smartphones. Interestingly, and perhaps contrary to conventional belief, there are more men visiting the website at 62% in comparison to women who take up 38%.

Hotel preferences

The report points out that 43.8% of Ugandan travellers prefer booking 2 star hotels while 29.2% prefer 3 star, 14.6% prefer 4 star, 8.3% book 1 star and 4.1% rather stay at a 5 star hotel.


“Over the past year, a number of  two star hotels started offering additional amenities such as WIFI than before plus their locations are suitable for the travelers especially when it comes to business.” Louis Badea, the Country Manager for Jumia Travel-Uganda

Kampala still leads under destination searches being the business center of the country and following right behind is the adventure capital Jinja that boosts of whitewater rafting, bungee jumping on the Nile. The average price per room booked on Jumia gives an insight in destination searches ranging according to customer’s preferences.


Full report here


The report further shares insights from some of the tourism industry’s experts about the workings and statistics of the sector.


See the full report, interviews and video clips here:




Jumia Travel
Jumia Travel
Jumia Travel is an online hotel booking service with offices in Kampala(Uganda), Lagos (Nigeria), Nairobi (Kenya) and Dakar (Senegal) founded by Africa Internet Group and has MTN and Millicom as its investors. Jumia Travel, Africa’s No.1 booking portal, facilitates the booking process for its users to provide them with the best hotel booking experience with fast, transparent and easy-to-use services. Jumia Travel has over 25,000 local hotel listings across Africa and over 200,000 hotels around the world.